Maine Whistleblower Law
Whistleblowers protected under state Whistleblower Protection Act.
- Stanley v. Hancock County, 864 A.2d 169 (Me. 2004) (discussing statutory remedy)
- Pooler v. Maine Coal Products, 532 A.2d 1026 (Me. 1987)
- Levitt v. Sonardyne, Inc., 2013 W.L. 159928 (D.Me. 2013) (reports to federal officials not protected under Maine WPA) (internal safety complaints protected)
- Cormier v. Genesis Healthcare LLC, 129 A.3d 944 (Me. 2015) (nurse’s healthcare complaint protected; timing used to demonstrate causation)
- Brady v. Cumberland Cnty., 126 A.3d 1145 (Me. 2015) (burden of proof under Maine WPA)
- Whistleblower Protection Act, 26 ME Rev Stat § 831–833 and § 836–840
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Maine have a False Claims Act?
Yes. The Maine False Claims Act covers any frauds against the state’s department of health and human services.
Does the Maine FCA have a whistleblower provision?
Yes, along with the Maine Whistleblowers Protections Act. These laws prohibit public and private employers from retaliating against any employee who discloses, in good faith, a violation of Maine law.
Does Maine recognize the public policy exception for wrongful termination?