Indiana Whistleblower Law
Whistleblowers protected under common law “public policy” tort.
- Frampton v. Central Indiana Gas Company, 297 N.E.2d 425 (Ind. 1973)
- Meyers v. Meyers, 861 N.E.2d 704 (Ind. 2007)
- Baker v. Tremco Inc., 917 N.E.2d 650 (Ind. 2009)
- IN Code § 22-5-3-3 (public contracting)
- IN Code §36-1-8-8 (public resources)
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Indiana have a False Claims Act (FCA)?
Yes. Indiana has both a general False Claims Act applying to a variety of cases and a Medicaid False Claims Act for healthcare fraud.
Do the Indiana laws have a whistleblower provision?
Yes. Whistleblowers under either of the Indiana laws who successfully aid the state will receive between 15 and 25 percent of the recovery in cases where the state intervenes and 25 and 30 percent where the state does not intervene.
Does Indiana recognize the public policy exception for wrongful termination?
Yes. An Indiana employer may not terminate an employee for a reason that conflicts with public policy.